Subscribe Twitter

Monday, March 7, 2011

Hitting the snooze button

By Judah
So I wake up in the morning to the sound of my flip phones latest ring-tone set for 6 a.m. Nine times out of ten I will hit the s­nooze button set for 10-minute intervals, and before I know it, it’s 7 a.m. and I'm gonna be late for work. ... Just don't tell my boss. Now if I do this every day for a month, you can imagine how much time I would lose. That's 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks in a month. ... So the grand total is: 20 hours.
That's almost a wasted day of hitting the snooze button that I will never, ever get back. Now picture yourself sitting in a room for 20 hours... Imagine all of the things that can be accomplished within this time period, be it business or leisure related. You can apply this to any facet of life; going to the gym, reading a good book, keeping in contact with loved ones, or just simply getting shit done. We are all guilty of putting things off until the last minute, let alone our oblivious lack of value for time, but what if we actually account for every second of our day?

We as human beings have no relative measurement of time, let alone its existence, so we go throughout our lives just doing what we think needs to be done when we feel like it. Now if one day you woke up and realized the true value of every second of your day, your quality of life would be significantly improved. This new found level of understanding is only dependent on your perception of life, but regardless it will help you do more. If you do more you live more.

I have had a chance to experiment with this philosophy in recent weeks and have found some profound, yet simple results. By managing my own time better, I am able to have a fuller life. Like most, I work a 9 to 5 throughout my work week and have taken advantage of this schedule. After I wake up to a nice cup of coffee I have several options; from working on the physical aspect of my life, such as hitting up Sports & Health for a nice work out session or keeping my mind fluid by reading a book the was recommended to me by a co-worker.

After work I like to keep the sanctuary spotless, look up the latest information pertaining to my career and options, cook, or head back the gym. A personal goal for myself is that I try not to sit down or have my “relax time” until 9 p.m.

Everyone's concept of importance is going to be different, but the purpose of the exercise is to examine your time and do the things you find important.

0 comments:

Post a Comment