Subscribe Twitter

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nothing Lasts Forever






By Judah


On my way back to my hometown I had a hard time finding some mood music for my drive. I pulled over to the side of the road and proceeded to open up my glove compartment and find something cruise to. I came across The Lost Tapes, an album by my favorite rapper Nas. I don’t listen to him as much as I use to but he is no less dope. Nothing Last Forever, was the fourth track on the classic disc.

Everything will eventually come to an end
So try to savor the moment, cuz time flies don't it
The beauty of life, you gotta make it last for the better
Cuz nothin' lasts forever ~ Nas



I once saw this line as Nas basically saying slow down and smell the roses. Sometimes you have to take a time out in life and enjoy what you have in front of you because it may not be here tomorrow. The 20 year old Judah and the 25 year old Judah may have less in common that I would think.

As I was driving up 95 I sat and thought about what the song means to me today. My analysis has changed a bit since I was the introspective young college kid. I believe the song is similar but has a different meaning. Since I was that kid, I am a little more worldly, read a few more books, and experience a deal of moments in life.

I believe Nas is saying one should confront his Mortality.

When you live through understanding your death two things happen.

First item that becomes clear is that you have a new found connection to all things organic. By understanding that all things God given will pass you will understand it’s connection to all life. We will all pass at different times and stages in life. This understanding will bring about a new found respect for the human experience.

Second, when you have this freedom the insignificant things become less and less important. The energy used on meaningless issues can be transferred to things that are important to you. A respect for time will also follow. Everyone likes down time, and the ability to unwind. This is completely understandable but there is a difference in taking a break and putting things off. There is nothing proper or acceptable about procrastination. When you put things off you will loose productive moments in your life that you will not be able to get back.

Saying I will live forever is an optimistic outlook on the life. It sounds nice...but it’s not realistic. Accept the ideal that one day you will pass just as all life and dive into your passions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment